The Rates Rebate Scheme was established by the Government in 1973 to provide a subsidy of up to $700 on rates for low income earners. Your rebate will be calculated based on your income, rates and how many dependants you have. The Government, following a review of the scheme, has further increased the rates rebate thresholds for the 2023/2024 rating year.
The following changes came into effect on 1 July 2023
- Maximum allowable rates rebate will increase to $700
- The additional income allowance for dependents is $500 per dependent.
Residents of retirement villages can also apply for a rates rebate. If you live in a retirement village, your village manager must complete and sign a declaration form.
- a copy of your 2023/24 Matamata-Piako District Council rates account (available from August 2023)
- a copy of your 2023/24 Waikato Regional Council rates account (available from September 2023) Alternatively you can visit the Waikato Regional Council Website or call 0800 800 401
- a copy of your Income Certificate from Inland Revenue for the 2022/2023 year from 1 April 2022 to 31 March 2023. Please supply certificates for any spouse/partner or joint home owner who lives in the dwelling with you. Contact Inland Revenue on 0800 257 777.
- a copy of any certificates stating interest earned on investments to 31 March 2023
- If you have withdrawn any funds from your Kiwisaver/PIE between 1 April 2022 and 31 March 2023 any interest received must be declared. (Your Kiwisaver provider can provide you with details of interest earned)
- Retirement Villages – please ask your village to fill in and sign the declaration certificate
- the property is used principally for farming, commercial, industrial or business purposes
- the property is a rental
- you have already applied for a rebate in the current rating year
- you do not qualify as a legal ratepayer
The last day to apply for 2022/23 was 30 June 2023. Appointments for the 2023/24 will be available in september 2023.
For further information on the Rates Rebate scheme and to calculate what you might get as a rates rebate, check out the Rates rebate calculator.