The Rates Rebate Scheme was established by the Government in 1973 to provide a subsidy of up to $700 on rates for low income earners. Your rebate will be calculated based on your income, rates and how many dependants you have. The Government, following a review of the scheme, has further increased the rates rebate thresholds for the 2022/2023 rating year.
The following changes came into effect on 1 July 2022
- Maximum allowable rates rebate will increase to $700
- The additional income allowance for dependents is $500 per dependent.
Residents of retirement villages can also apply for a rates rebate. If you live in a retirement village, your village manager must complete and sign a declaration form.
- a copy of your 2022/23 Matamata-Piako District Council rates account (available from August 2022)
- a copy of your 2022/23 Waikato Regional Council rates account (available from September 2022) Alternatively you can visit the Waikato Regional Council Website or call 0800 800 401
- a copy of your Income Certificate from Inland Revenue for the 2021/2022 year from 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022. Please supply certificates for any spouse/partner or joint home owner who lives in the dwelling with you. Contact Inland Revenue on 0800 257 777.
- a copy of any certificates stating interest earned on investments to 31 March 2022
- If you have withdrawn any funds from your Kiwisaver/PIE between 1 April 2021 and 31 March 2022 any interest received must be declared. (Your Kiwisaver provider can provide you with details of interest earned)
- Retirement Villages – please ask your village to fill in and sign the declaration certificate
- the property is used principally for farming, commercial, industrial or business purposes
- the property is a rental
- you have already applied for a rebate in the current rating year
- you do not qualify as a legal ratepayer
The last day to apply for the 2022/23 year is 30 June 2023. Appointments for the 2022/23 year are now available, please contact Customer Services on 0800 746 467 to find out more information or to book an appointment.
For further information on the Rates Rebate scheme and to calculate what you might get as a rates rebate, check out the Rates rebate calculator.