Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw
In 2021 Council consulted on and adopted the Waste Minimisation and Management Plan (WMMP) alongside the Long Term Plan. The WMMP outlines how we will work towards a low-waste future and a circular economy. We’re now reviewing our Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw (Bylaw) to align it with the WMMP, as well as the new kerbside collection contract being implemented from September this year, and significant changes to policy and regulation at a central government level.
What is being proposed
We are proposing that the draft Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw will become a standalone bylaw, and to revoke the current bylaw (part of the Consolidated Bylaw 2008).
We're proposing a number of changes in the draft Bylaw to existing clauses, such as:
- requirements around the removal of uncollected waste;
- the ability for Council to introduce a licensing system for waste collection
- requirements to secure any waste that is being transported to prevent any waste falling or otherwise escaping
We're also proposing to add new clauses to help reduce waste including:
- the ability for Council to require an event waste management and minimisation plan for major events
- a requirement for construction site waste management and minimisation plans when applying for building consent for non-residential building work with an estimated value of $500,000 or higher.
- new rules for clothing bins/donation collections on public places
- new rules around the delivery of unaddressed mail or advertising material.
Use the button below to view the draft Bylaw in full. Also check out the 'Related Documents' box to the right for other background information that may be helpful in making a submission.
Summary of proposed changes Draft Bylaw
Have your say
We want to hear your views on this draft Bylaw - simply click the button below to complete your submission. Submissions are open until 4.30pm on 14 April 2023.
We're also happy to meet with any groups/organisations to discuss this draft Bylaw. If you'd like to arrange a time to meet with us please contact us on 07 884 0060.
Council adopt Waste Management and Minimisation Plan
Council review Solid Waste Bylaw
Late 2022/Early 2023
Consultation on draft Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw
14 March - 14 April 2023
Hearing on Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw
3 May 2023
Council consider submissions/make decisions
Council adopt Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw
We're also seeking feedback on...
You may also be interested in the following documents, which we're also seeking feedback on until 14 April.