Return to home page

Rapid growth is causing delays in resource consents, engineering approval, subdivision approval and responses to general planning enquiries. Read more...

Project Information Memorandum (PIM)

What is a PIM?

A PIM provides information about the special features (e.g. natural hazards) of the land on which building work is proposed and any other land likely to affect or be affected by the proposed building work. It also provides information that is relevant to the proposed building work. Information may include -

  1. the heritage status of the building
  2. details on any existing stormwater and/or wastewater utility systems
  3. applicable legislative requirements (e.g. a resource consent is required for the proposed building work)

What information is included in a PIM?

A PIM provides information that must be taken into account for the proposed project and the land on which it is to be built, including information on special features such as:

  • Erosion 
  • Avulison (removal of land by water action)
  • Falling debris
  • Subsidence
  • Slippage
  • Alluvium (the deposit of silt from flooding)
  • Wind Zones
  • The presence of hazardous contaminants, which are known to Council and may be relevant to the design, construction, or altercation of your proposed building project.
  • Details of water, stormwater, or watewater utility systems that relate to your proposed building work or your building site. 

It also identifies any additional approvals required, such as: 

  • Resource Management Act requirments 
  • Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga (hertiage buildings/sites)
  • Fire and Emergency New Zealand

A PIM Confirms that you may carry out the building work on the land subject to:

  • The requirments of the Building Consent and Building Act
  • Any other necesary authorisations being obtained such as a Resource Consent. 

Who can apply for a PIM?

The owner(s) or an authorised agent of the owners can apply to the relevant council (i.e. territorial authority) for a PIM when the owners are considering carrying out building work where a building consent is required.

When to apply for a PIM?

Although it is not mandatory to apply for a PIM, it is highly recommended to obtain a PIM early on in the design phase and well in advance of applying for a building consent.

This is especially so for significant projects as such a building project for the construction of a new house and for projects where there is a reasonable amount uncertainty.

How to apply for a PIM?

Applying for a PIM is the same as applying for a building consent. For Matamata-Piako, district please see here for how to apply.

For council fees for the PIM application, please see the fees schedule on the relevant council website.

For more information about PIM, please see the following links -

  • MBIE information is here