Rubbish and recycling in Matamata-Piako
Transfer stations are open from 10am to 4pm on selected days:
Matamata - 220b Tauranga Rd, 07 888 5700; Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sat & Sun
Morrinsville - 168b Roache Rd, 07 889 3401; Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat & Sun
Te Aroha - 4277 State Highway 26, Waihou, 07 884 8831; Wed, Fri & Sun
All transfer stations are closed on Good Friday, Anzac Day (from 1pm on ANZAC Day), Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Day and 2 January. To receive notifications on all your collection dates, including changes due to public holidays, download the Antenno App from Google Play or the App Store.
Normal collection days
Kerbside collections happen on the following days in our district:
- Thursday: Te Aroha township (rubbish collected weekly, recycling collected in week 2)
- Friday: Matamata, Waharoa, Walton, Tamihana (rubbish collected weekly, recycling collected in week 2)
- Friday: Morrinsville, Waihou, Waitoa, Mangateparu, Tahuna (rubbish collected weekly, recycling collected in week 1).
Map of collection zones
When there is a long weekend/public holdiay kerbside collections change. We notify you of these changes through our website, email and through the Antenno App. If you would like to receive notifications straight to your phone about kerbside collections each week, you can find out more information here.
Unfortunately e-waste recycling services are not yet available in our district with most of our old electronic devices, household batteries, power banks, phones, etc currently ending up in landfill. Central government is working on some nationwide centres but these may be a few years away.
For those who travel out of town, there are some services running in our neighbouring main centres including Recycle It and Tech Collect. At a local level, Mitre 10 accept lightbulbs and pot plant containers while car batteries and domestic quantities (up to 10 litres) of hazardous waste and oil can be disposed of at our transfer stations for a nominal fee.
Please do not put any of these items in your wheelie recycling bin or refuse bag as they can and do cause fires within the collection trucks as the materials are compacted. If you are unable to store these items prior to taking them to the correct recycler we would prefer these are taken directly to our refuse transfer stations.
Kerbside collection requirements
How to make sure your rubbish is always able to be collected:
To help with the rubbish collection and ensure your rubbish is picked up, please:
- Place bags and bins on kerbside by 7.30am on your collection day, ensuring they can be easily seen from the road
- Place your bin at least half a metre from other objects (this is so the wheelie bin truck can empty it)
- Make sure you use only official Matamata-Piako District Council rubbish bags (10kg max per bag)
- Make sure your rubbish bag is tied up at the top
- Make sure your wheelie bin lid is closed
- Do not put out any broken glass
- Do not place your rubbish bag on top of the wheelie bin
Rubbish bag, wheelie bins and glass crates
Matamata-Piako District Council has a weekly rubbish and recycling collection service for 9,250 households and businesses in the district. If you are unsure whether the collection includes your property, phone Customer Services on 0800 746 467.
Your rubbish and recycling collection includes:
- Your *pink rubbish bags, which are collected weekly. Your rubbish bags are for anything that should go to landfill (so try not to put anything in here that could be recycled).
- Your green crate (for glass only), which is collected fortnightly
- Your wheelie bin (for all other approved recyclables including plastic 1, 2 and 5, cans, tins and paper and cardboard) which is also collected fortnightly.
*Our kerbside rubbish bags are now pink and are the same size as the black bags. If you still have black MPDC bags you can continue to use them until they are gone.