Return to home page

Natural, Cultural and Built Heritage Grant

Council supports the protection and preservation of our districts heritage and natural environment.

The Natural, Cultural and Built Heritage Grant provides funding for plans, reports and one-off projects that will protect, conserve and promote New Zealand’s natural, cultural and physical heritage and also support community organisations with resource consents costs.

There are no funding round application dates - this means that applications can be made at any time during the year and funding is allocated on a first in basis.

Download the Natural, Cultural and Built Heritage Grant Funding Policy here .

Register or log in to apply online here. 


Are you applying for funding for a Protected Tree?

The Matamata-Piako District Plan (District Plan) protects certain trees with identified significance in our district (please see Schedule 3, Part B of the District Plan - Protected Trees for a list).

To maintain the health of protected trees, the District Plan specifies that certain kinds of work on them must be undertaken by a qualified arborist. Council-approved qualified arborists are included in either of two classes which specifies the kind of work they are permitted to perform in relation to protected trees:

Class 1. Only Class 1 qualified arborists are approved to prepare reports on protected trees (see Performance Standard 10.2.1 Tree Protection of the District Plan) as well as carry out physical works as per Rules 10.1.3 (b) and (d) of the District Plan.

Class 2. Class 2 qualifed arborists are (in addition to Class 1 arborists) permitted to carry out physical works in accordance with Rules 10.1.3 (b) and (d) of the District Plan following the receipt of a report from a Class 1 arborist.

All qualified arborist contact details are listed below:

Class 1

Arborcare Ltd

Phone: 07 543 1775

Class 1


Phone: 07 857 0280

Class 2

Swamp Frog

Phone: 022 017 8486

Note: Any person permitted to carry out works in accordance with Rules 10.1.3 (a), (c) and (e) of the District Plan. However, as detailed above, tree assessment reports and certain work on protected trees must be carried out by Council-approved qualified arborists.