Enrolling to vote

Resident electoral roll

If you're already enrolled to vote in parliamentary elections (and referendums like the flag referendum), you'll automatically be enrolled on the local authority residential electoral roll for the address where you live.

Enrol, check or update your detailsIf you wish to enrol or update your details you can:

Do you live in one area and pay rates on a property in another?

If you are on the parliamentary roll in one area but pay rates on a property in another area, you may be entitled to enrol to vote on the non-resident ratepayer roll.  Companies, businesses and societies that are ratepayers, may also nominate an elector to vote on their behalf, provided they reside outside of the constituent authority area. 

Non-resident ratepayer roll enrolment confirmation forms will be sent out to those on the existing non-resident ratepayer roll in early March. They need to confirm or send any changes to their details by 30 April.

If you think you may be eligible to enrol or to nominate a person for the non-resident ratepayer electoral roll, you will need to complete an Enrolment Form for Ratepayer Electors (pdf, 89kb) and return it to Council by 30 April 2016.