Road Maintenance Strategy
Council's maintenance strategy is a follows:
- Maintenance tasks are first priority
- Maintain existing roads at an acceptable standard of service to ensure they are safe and traffikable at all times
- To catch up on essential carriageway maintenance
- To continue to improve roadside drainage
- To manage the network on a district-wide basis
All road maintenance is competitively tendered. Contractors are engaged for road maintenance, resealing, signs maintenance, road marking, lighting and bridge repairs. New Zealand Transport Agency gives Council financial assistance to carry out its subsidised roading works. The financial assistance rate has varied over the years.